By submitting this form, I give OurChurch.Com permission to send me communication by email.
As we continue to press on through the COVID-19 pandemic and some people are struggling with health concerns, isolation, and financial challenges, I hear some Christians and even some Christian church leaders saying, “I can’t wait until we get back to the way things used to be.”
I understand that sentiment – when things are difficult we long for the “good old days.”
But I think that would be a mistake.
First of all, things are not going to “get back to the way things used to be” any time soon because until there is a vaccine and a cure, vulnerable people are not going to feel comfortable gathering in person or doing things the way we used to do them. (See how 53 of 61 choir members got COVID-19 from a single choir rehearsal).
Second, to go back to the way things used to be would be to ignore many of the good things God has been doing in and through our churches during the pandemic.
In this month’s “Listening Post” (survey), we asked our members:
What are some things that have worked well during the COVID-19 stay-at-home order that you intend to continue after your church is able to meet in person again?
We received many, many responses! (Thank you!)
We don’t have space here to share all of them with you, but we wanted to encourage and inspire you but sharing…
14 Things That Are Working Well for Churches During COVID-19
- Facebook Live
- We record our services and put them up on our YouTube Channel and our website.
- Streaming has been a great success for our church and we have connected to many beyond our congregation.
- We have received a very good response on our Facebook page from people in our community who do not attend church and feel it’s a great outreach.
- emailed and web site posted bulletins
- Online small group options
- Online giving
- We now are on Twitter and Instagram.
- Our Pastor has provided a weekly blog
- Continue to provide devotions and service on Youtube channel.
- Increased communication through email and phone calls.
- Prayer and creating an on-line 60-day journal to offer biblical-based encouragement
- A midweek activity for kids via YouTube
- Used the website blog and newsletter for communicating and sharing Sunday sermons
Kudos to all of the churches and church leaders that are experimenting with new forms of worship, new ways of communicating with members, new ways of using social media, new ways of gathering for life groups and bible studies!
Praise God for the way he has worked through those of us who have faithful moved into uncharted territory!
People will speak of your mighty deeds, and I will proclaim your greatness. They will tell about all your goodness and sing about your kindness. -Psalm 145 6:7
For more information see:
- Reopening Church Resources
- COVID-19 Response Resources
- Coronavirus Inspirational Quotes
- OurChurch.Com’s COVID-19 Update
Comment and discuss… What are some things that have worked well during the COVID-19 stay-at-home order that you intend to continue after your church is able to meet in person again?