What is the Navigation Menu?
The navigation menu appears on the left side of every web page and allows visitors to navigate your website. Here are some important things to know about the menu system.
- Your menu is the same on every page of the website.
- When you add a new page to your website, a default menu item showing the page title is added to your menu. We strongly encourage you to modify the default menu item to something more appropriate.
- Menu items can link to a page in your site, a page in another OCC-hosted site, or another website.
- Sub-menus can be created to better organize your menu.
- The color of the background and the text of your menu can be changed by selecting the "Edit Colors & Graphics" option on your Webmaster page.
How do I edit the menu?
On the main "Edit Navigation Menu" page, each menu item is displayed in the order it will be in the actual menu. The links are active as well, meaning you verify the link simply by clicking on it. Beside each menu item you see two buttons: Edit and Delete. The Edit button will allow you to modify that menu item or move it. The Delete button will remove that menu item completely. At the bottom of the page you see two additional buttons: one to add a menu item and the other to create a sub-menu.
How do I configure a menu item?
When you click on the Add or Edit button on the main Edit Navigation Menu page, you will go to a page with a form to configure a menu item. Each menu item has three basic components:
- Linked Page - the page you go to when you click on the menu item.
- Menu Text - the part you see - either text or a graphic.
- Position - the order in which the menu item is shown (after the indicated menu item).
What do I put in the "Linked Page" blank? Can you show me?
You have two basic options for the link portion of the menu item: one of your pages or a page on another site.
- Most of the time, you will link to one of your own pages (the first "Link to" blank). To do this, simply select the page from the dropdown list (click the box to select) and leave the "External URL" box blank.
- To link to a page outside of your OCC site, choose "Link to: External URL below." Then type the URL (beginning with http://) in the box.
What do I put for Menu Text? Can you show me?
The menu text indicates the actual words that are shown in the navigation menu for a particular menu item. You have two basic options for the menu text of menu item as well: either you can let the menu default to the title of the page, or you can specify the text you want in the menu.
- If you want the menu item to display the title of the page, check the option and leave the Menu Text box below empty. Note that you can only use this option for pages in your OCC site. You should also note that if the title of the page is long, it may exceed the width of the menu, making it difficult to read.
- To specify the text of the menu item yourself, check that option and type the text in the Menu Text box below.
- Note: to add a space below an item in the navigation menu, select the option to "Use text below for menu text." In the "Menu text" box type in the title of the page followed by <br>. This will cause a line break after the menu item.
What is the "Position" blank for?
You specify any location in the main menu or any existing sub-menus with this. By default, the homepage is first followed by the rest of your pages in alphabetical order. You can rearrange the items in your navigation menu to suit your needs.
How do I create a sub-menu? Can you show me?
Using sub-menus allows you to better organize a site, particularly a large site with many pages. Each chapter of a book could have a link in a sub-menu displaying the title of the book. Or a school could use a sub-menu to group links to each grade. Note that the sub-menu title is not a page and is not clickable. It's simply a heading used for grouping menu items. To create a sub-menu in the navigation menu of your website:
- Go to your Webmaster page and select the "Edit Navigation Menu" option.
- At the bottom of that page, click the "Add Sub-Menu" button.
- In the form that follows, type in the Menu Text (the words you want for your sub menu). Remember, this is the heading like "Misc Stuff" on the sample site and not one of your pages. Select the position in the navigation menu where you would like the sub-menu added and then click the Submit button.
- Every sub-menu must have at least one menu item in it. Since you just created your sub-menu there are no menu items in it yet, thus the page that follows asks you to either (1) Add a menu item to the sub-menu or (2) Delete the sub-menu. Choose option 1.
- That will bring up a form to add a menu item. For help on how to complete this page look up to the "Configuring a Menu Item" section of this help page. Note that the Position setting of the form has already been set for you to put the menu item into the newly created sub-menu. Also note, that before you can put a menu item to a page in the sub-menu the page has to actually exist. So, create the page first, then move them to the sub-menu.
- After submitting that form, you'll be taken back to the main "Edit Navigation Menu" page, where you should see the sub-menu and the menu item you just added in it. If the menu item you placed in the sub-menu links to page that was already in the navigation menu in another place, you will probably want to delete the old menu item for that page.
- Now that you have a sub-menu with one item in it you can add new menu items to that sub menu by clicking the "Add Menu Item" button at the bottom of the page. Or, if you'd like to move a menu link into the sub-menu that already exists in the main menu, click the "Edit" button next to that menu item and then change the position setting in the form that follows.
Here is some more useful information about sub-menus:
- There is only one level of sub-menus, therefore all sub-menus are placed in the main menu.
- A sub-menu must have at least one linking menu item in it.
- When a sub-menu is moved, all the linking menu items stay in the sub-menu and move with it.
- When a sub-menu is deleted, all the linking menu items in it are deleted also.
Top of Page Main Help Page Back