We recently purchased a new digital SLR camera. It has more features than our last camera and takes great pictures. However, we have found that with all the new features, it is a bit more complicated and isn’t quite as intuitive as our previous camera.
The tension between features and simplicity is present in almost everything we use: Cars, phones, TVs, and websites are not immune from this tension either.
In theory, the more sophisticated websites become, the more complicated it will be to update them. However, there are ways to relieve some of the complexity of maintaining your website.
Below are 5 things you can do to make your website less complicated to maintain:
- Partner with a reputable company, not just a one-man shop.
- Ask what kind of website platform they are using. If it is well known and widely used, it is more likely that it will be easier to use.
- Make sure they have step by step instructions (written or video) to show you how to update your website.
- Make sure that you can speak with someone one the phone if you still need assistance after using their online tutorials.
- Ask if they have a money back guarantee if you find their website system too complicated to use. Not only is it good to know if you can get a refund but a company will likely want to make their website platform as easy to use as possible if they know that they will need to perform refunds for customers who find it difficult to use.
The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. – Hans Hofmann
If you are interested in talking with one of our experts about getting a website that is easy to update, please contact us here.