Summer is often seen as the “slow season.”
Families take vacations… schools are on break… pastors take time off…
The prevailing mindset is, “A lot of people are away, so let’s just put things on cruise control and wait until summer is over before we start anything new.”
But that’s the mindset of missed opportunities.
It’s exactly BECAUSE people are on vacation and school is not in session, which makes Summer the PERFECT time to try new things!
Churches often have guest pastors and guest worship leaders at times during the Summer. Services have a different feel. Which makes it a great time to try new things:
- Let the youth lead a service
- If you’re a liturgical church, use a different liturgy or worship without a liturgy
- If you’re not a liturgical church, use a liturgy
- Experiment with technology like video and social media
- Invite your congregation to share video, pictures and stories through social media which you can use in the following Sunday’s service
- Promote online giving and automatic recurring giving as a way to give faithfully even when traveling
Most schools are not in session during Summer, so it gives teachers and administrators time to learn and try new things:
- Redesign the website
- Add something new to the website
- Do an online learning experience on email, social media and/or marketing.
- Develop a new communication or marketing plan for the next school year
If you always do what you’ve always done, you always get what you’ve always gotten. -Unknown
Maybe your Summer experiments turn out to be just experiments, but they could be the start of something new, real game-changers.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to try something new this Summer!
What’s one new thing you’re going to try this Summer? Post a comment and share your ideas!