Definition: Salvation is God's deliverance of man from the power and consequences of sin through the work of Christ on the cross.
Before you were saved, your sin separated you from God. You were alienated from Him spiritually dead in your sins and headed for an eternity without God. However, He has provided a solution to this problem. He offers that solution to you as a free gift. That gift, offered in love, is eternal life.
This gift is free to you but it was not free for Jesus. He had to pay for your sins by His death on the cross. No gift has ever been more costly. He took your sins onto Himself. He took your place. He did that so you might die to sin (stop living for sin) and live for righteousness. Because of His love, God sent Jesus to die on the cross.
There is nothing you can do to pay for your own salvation the cost is too high. The only solution is to accept God's free gift. The Bible states that the way to accept that gift is by believing in Jesus. By believing in Jesus you are saved you will never perish you have eternal life.
Wonderful changes take place at the moment you receive Jesus as your personal Savior. You become a child of God. In addition, you have God's promise that you will never perish. You are born again to a living hope, guaranteed by the resurrection of Jesus. Because He conquered death, you will live even if you die.
Sin was paid for in full by the blood of Jesus. When you believe in Jesus, His payment is applied to your sins. Then you receive forgiveness of sins. With your sins forgiven, you are no longer separated from God. He gives you the free gift of eternal life an eternal relationship with Him.
SALVATION A WORKSHEET
Directions: Carefully answer each question below. Answer each one from the accompanying verse or verses ... but please use you own words if possible.
1. Verse: "But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God." Isaiah 59:2
Question: Before you were saved, what separated you from God?
2. Verse: "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23
Question: What was the spiritual result of your sin?
Question: What did God give to you when you believed in Jesus?
3. Verse: "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
Question: What has Jesus done for sinners?
Question: What does this demonstrate to you about God?
4. Verse: "And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness." 1 Peter 2:24
Question: What has Jesus done for you?
Question: Jesus did that so you could do what two things?
5. Verse: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16
(Note: This is a good verse to memorize.)
Question: What motivated God to send Jesus?
Question: Because you have believed in Jesus, you will never do what?
Question: What do you now have?
6. Verse: "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." John 1:12
Question: By receiving Jesus as your Savior, what have you become?
Question: Receiving Jesus is the same as what?
7. Verse: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." 1 Peter 1:31
Question: What has happened to you because of God's mercy?
8. Verse: "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses." Ephesians 1:7
Question: Your redemption (payment for sin) is through what?
Question: What has happened to your sins?
9. Verse: "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life." John 6:40
Question: Having believed in Jesus, what do you now have?
10. Verse: "And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent." John 17:3
Question: Eternal life is more than just living forever what is it?
11. A personal question: Are you sure about your relationship with God?
SALVATION ARE YOU SURE?
By putting your faith in Jesus, you become God's child. As His child, you are eternally secure. However, the Bible includes a very challenge for you in 2 Corinthians 13:5: "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves!" God gives you an internal confirmation when you are born again, 1 John 5:7-13. His Spirit authenticates that fact in your heart. Why not examine yourself right now? Do you have that internal confirmation? Are you sure that you have truly invited Jesus to be your Savior? If you would like to be sure that Christ is yours, this would be a good time to settle it once and for all. Invite Him to be your Savior right now. The prayer that follows is a good way to do that. Pray it now if it expresses the sincere desire of your heart.
I admit that I am a sinner.
I turn to You from my sin.
I believe that Jesus, being God, died on the cross for me.
I invite Him to be my Savior.
Thank You for saving me.
BIBLE BASICS ONE is a series of four lessons for new or young believers. This lesson was printed by permission from www.MyDisciplemaker.org. If you have been a believer for a number of years, these four lessons may be a good refresher course for you or can be a guide to use in teaching others. This lesson, copyright 1999, was written by John D. Morris. You may copy it, unchanged, for free distribution ... but only with this copyright statement attached. Bible quotations are from the New American Standard Bible. Bible Basics One is provided by Acts One Eight, Inc., PO Box 50200, Colorado Springs, CO 80949, USA.