"But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."
- Psalm 1:2
Do you delight in God's Word? Many times even Christian women dread reading the Bible, at times even putting it off until the end of the day.
Many women will read the newspaper to find out what's going on, or read their email to hear from their friends, but they have no interest in reading the Bible to find out what God has to say there. Some will even read a novel for an hour or two, but only spend ten or fifteen minutes in God's Word.
I believe we should spend more time reading the Bible than any writing or book the world has to offer.
We should read the Bible, study it, memorize Scripture, and apply it to our lives. It should be on our minds day and night. It should be a book you can't wait to pick up, and don't want to put down.
The Bible is full of wisdom and instruction. It is God's Word to us. Let's make it a higher priority this year.
God bless you all,
Friday, May 8, 2009
"Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the word of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12 KJV
Where do we get the instruction and knowledge that the above verse is talking about? The obvious answer is the Bible, God's Holy Word. It is just as relevant today as it was when it was written. We, as women, need it as much today as the women of the Old and New testaments did in their day.
God wants us to desire in our hearts to receive His Instruction and seek knowledge from Him. As women, we need instruction in how to apply God's Word and godly principles to our daily lives. We need instruction in how to live a godly life. We need instruction in how to organize and take care of our homes, in cooking, in caring for ourselves, in time management, and in our personal finances. Wives also need instruction in how to love and treat their husbands. Mothers need instruction in how to love, nurture, discipline, and bring up their children.
Suggestions for getting instruction:
1. Pray to God every day for wisdom, guidance, and instruction. Do this before you do anything else. Prayer is the very best way to start your day.
2. Read your Bible every day. A good time for some women might be in the mornings before anyone else is up and things are quiet. Don't hesitate to use a highlighter, take notes or use a journal to help you remember special passages and to help you apply the principles in the Scriptures to your life. A good study Bible is very helpful, and you can find study Bibles especially for women.
3. Go to a good Bible-believing church as often as you can, not only for regular services, but also for Sunday school, Bible studies, women's groups, and any other activities that will help you better learn and understand God's Word.
4. Find a godly older woman who will mentor you. There are precious ladies out there with so much experience in life and so much to offer to a woman who will listen.
5. Read good Chirstian books, especially books writeen by Christian women authors, andpertaining to issures women face in daily life.
6. Watch Christian television and listen to Christian radio.
7. Search for Christian websites.
8. Suppose you want to know how to organize your home, bake a delicious meal, or give your first baby a bath? There are many how-to books, magazines, TV and radio programs, websites, and friends and family out there to instruct you in these things. Some are specifically Christian, and some are not. Some secular resources are really useful. Pray for guidance and discernment in selecting these resources.
God bless you all.