- OBCHE is a Christian organization and has an unchanging standard, God's Word, the Holy Bible. All group activities, publications, and conduct are to be consistent with the teachings and principles of the Bible.
- OBCHE is affiliated with the Mississippi Home Educators Association.
- OBCHE does not provide curriculum.
- OBCHE does not give legal advice concerning any issues. All legal questions concerning home education should be addressed to the
Home School Legal Defense Association.
- OBCHE does not divulge member information to anyone with the exceptions of other OBCHE members and the Mississippi Home Educators Association.
- OBCHE is governed by a Leadership Board.
- Continued participation in OBCHE events is contingent upon membership in OBCHE. Members will always receive preferential treatment when space or numbers are limited.
- OBCHE does not take responsibility for the acts of any individuals within the group. Adult members must be accountable for their own actions and the actions and safety of their own children.
Membership Policies and Guidelines
- OBCHE membership is open to parents or grandparents committed to home education.
- Members must accept the OBCHE Statement of Purpose and Objectives and Membership Guidelines, indicated by the signing and submission of the Membership Agreement.
- OBCHE membership will begin in August of each year and must be renewed annually. New members will be accepted until April 1st of each year.
- OBCHE members are expected to perform at least one act of service to OBCHE per year. Any adult family member may perform this service.
- Children should be accompanied by at least one parent to each OBCHE function attended unless otherwise approved by the responsible coordinator. No less than two adults must be present at any OBCHE event where children are being supervised.
- OBCHE parents and children are expected to honor God through modest appearance and appropriate attitude and actions at all OBCHE events.
- The OBCHE Leadership Board must approve all activities sponsored by OBCHE. Suggestions may be made to any Board member.
Privileges of Membership
- The OBCHE monthly newsletter, prayer requests from and for group members, and periodic announcements from group leaders
- An OBCHE membership directory to help families interact and support one another
- Full participation in specially planned field trips, activities, and special events
- Opportunities to participate in local, state, and national programs and events, such as the annual Scripps National Spelling Bee and Book It.
- Opportunities to develop friendships with and learn from other home educators in various settings
- Optional participation in Stanford achievement testing
- OBCHE membership card, which entitles families to teacher discounts at some Memphis-area businesses
Basic Membership Requirements
- Members must sign and submit a Membership Agreement form, which may be obtained from anyone in OBCHE leadership or from the Olive Branch Public Library.
- Members must contribute by volunteering for at least one act of service to the group during the year.
- Annual $10 per-family membership fee
Discipline of Children
Parents are responsible for the behavior and safety of their own children at all OBCHE functions. Parents of misbehaving students will be notified of their child's conduct and must thereafter accompany their child to any OBCHE event. Failure to comply will result in the student being denied further participation in the activity. Parents who make no effort to control their children's behavior will be reported to the Board and may be expelled from OBCHE.
OBCHE reserves the right to require the withdrawal of any member whose behavior is in conflict with the OBCHE Statement of Purpose and Membership Guidelines.