About Northwoods Baptist Church
Northwoods is an independent Baptist church. Our focus is in large part missionary. We believe, practice, and share the fundamentals of God's Word.
Located at 5204 Old Walkertown Road on the corner of Old Walkertown Road and Dippen Road in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Northwoods Baptist Church is at the heart of the Northwoods community.
Through the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the study and teaching of God's Word, worship services dedicated to the glorification and magnification of God, and a desire to help and support those in physical and spiritual need, Northwoods aims to reach out and unite our surrounding community in fellowship and love, making welcome all those who may come our way.
Our Beliefs: Church Doctrine
Northwoods Baptist Church, as a company of believers, voluntarily united for the purposes of worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry, and the world wide proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, embraces and supports, along with other Christian tenets equally or comparably vital, these doctrinal emphases:
- The divine inspiration, supremacy and authority of the Scriptures.
- The deity and humanity, virgin birth and sinless substitutional death and bodily resurrections, ascension and premillennial coming of Christ.
- Likewise, the sovereignty of God.
- The total depravity of all men.
- The necessity of regeneration.
- Scriptural believer's baptism as prerequisite to church membership.
- The Lord's Supper administered by the local church.
- The local church as an autonomous body, separated from the world.
- The doctrine of the Trinity as historically and scripturally maintained.
- The rapture of the church as the Christian's hope.
- The resurrection of the body of all Christians concurrent with the rapture.
- The earth wide reign of Jesus Christ.
- An ultimate judgment of the impenitent.
- A heaven of eternal duration for the saved, and the eternal punishment in a place named "Hell" for the lost.
Our Commitment: Church Covenant
Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we do now in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.
We engage therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church, in knowledge, holiness, and comfort; to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.
We also engage to maintain family and secret devotion; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings; faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale and use of intoxicating drinks as a beverage, and to be zealous in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Saviour.
We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember each other in prayer; to aid each other in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offence, but always ready for reconciliation, and mindful of the rules of our Saviour to secure it without delay.
We moreover engage that when we remove from this place, we will as soon as possible unite with some other church, where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God's word.
James A. Thompson, Jr. is the pastor of Northwoods Baptist Church.
Jim was born in Beckley, West Virginia in 1951. He accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of his life on May 25, 1968 at Maxwell Hill Baptist Church in Beckley. In 1970, while attending Beckley Junior College, God called Jim to the ministry as a preacher. Shortly thereafter, he transferred to Piedmont Bible College in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where he received his degree.
After his move to Winston-Salem, Jim and his wife Marcie became members of Northwoods Baptist Church. Jim was ordained as a deacon at Northwoods in 1984. On July 6, 1986, Northwoods Baptist Church ordained Jim as a pastor and he answered God's call as pastor of Faith Baptist Church in Germanton, North Carolina. Jim served as pastor of Faith Baptist Church for 11 years. He also worked for Dairy Fresh, LP in Winston-Salem, North Carolina as a classified working foreman from 1972 - 1997.
On September 14, 1997, Jim returned to Northwoods as our pastor.
"Preacher Jim," as he is affectionately known by the congregation, is an avid hunter and sports enthusiast.
Northwoods Baptist Church was established as a gathering of believers, located just outside Winston-Salem, North Carolina, on May 8, 1931. It continued as such, meeting in various homes of members until 1937, when a group of women from among them, feeling the need for a community church, met every Thursday night to pray. On September 12, 1937, their prayers were answered when Reverend W.E. Southern and other men met to organize a Baptist church. The church was originally named the Pleasant Hope Baptist Church with Reverend W.E. Southern as pastor.
Services continued to be held at the homes of members until a church could be erected. Since there were no funds to contract a builder for the church, the men volunteered to build it themselves after work each day. The church was built on the Old Mikey Mill Road which is now known as Carver Road.
After a number of years, it was necessary to build in another location. The church members voted to build the new church on a lot in the Northwoods community on Oak Ridge Drive. Since the money received for the old church was insufficient, several members collected funding from businesses as well as individuals for erection of the new church. After the move to the Northwoods community, it was decided that the name Northwoods Baptist Church was more appropriate, and thus, the name change was made.
By the mid-1960's, the continued growth of Northwoods Baptist Church once again created the need for a larger facility. Work was begun, and in December of 1967, the church moved into its current home at 5204 Old Walkertown Road.