Sermons and More
Each week, this will be updated to include this past Sunday's sermon as delivered by Pastor Jonathan. May your life be enriched by God's Word through the preaching ministry of Black Creek Church.
Principle of the Changed Life
September 6, 2009 – AM – Black Creek
I. A New Life (17-21)
a. Condition of the Sinner (17-19)
* Behavior of a believer is to be radically different than the behavior of a non-believer.
- Lost walk in the “Vanity of their minds” – (Mataiotes) – describes the disappointing misery of the world of nature as a result of the curse.
* Man’s thinking is Vanity – alienated from God.
- Notions are empty and dangerous
- The understanding of the lost is “Darkened” – a true absence of light.
2 Corinthians 4:4
“The god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
Lost persons proclaim lies as truth, immorality as morality, high sounding nonsense as science, and philosophy as religion.
The understanding of unsaved people is darkened because they are cut off from the life of god as a result of indwelling ignorance that is caused by deep-seated inner blindness. The lost move from darkness to darkness to darkness.
Christians are not to walk as “Gentiles” walk. We must never copy the beliefs of lost persons. Even some of the world’s brightest minds were blind leaders of the blind.
+ Einstein never wanted to believe in God
+ Marx was an atheist
+ Darwin got away from the faith of his youth.
+ Freud hated Christianity
b. Sinner’s Depraved Mind
* The next step downward from willful blindness and wicked beliefs is wreckless behavior.
* “Past Feeling” – (apalgeo) – those who have lost their sense of pain. A wound suffered because of their insensitivity to what they are doing.
* These folks hope to gain from what they are doing. They work hard at their vileness. They are so filled with greed that it doesn’t matter who they run over to get what they want.
II. The Saint’s Conversion (20-21)
a. The Change (20)
· Paul did not link Christian belief and behavior to a creed or a code – he linked them directly to Christ. Not a precept or principle but to the Person.
· Christianity is Christ. Remember “Christ – ian” Without Christ, I am nothing!
· Contrast 4:18-19 and 4:20
o Contrast of Darkness and Light
o Still, so many choose darkness over the light – many still cry out “Barabbas” over “Jesus”.
o Clarifies our thoughts
o Cleanses our lives
o Indwells our hearts
o Quickens our consciences
o Stiffens our resolve
· Life with Christ is a victory over the darkness and depravity of the lost!
b. The Challenge (21)
· Verse specifically issues a challenge to the Ephesian believer. “If” means that there is no doubt that Christ has been raised from the dead.
· Christ provides a contrast to the lifestyle of the pagans who lived in the same city as many of these Ephesian believers.
· Paul is begging them – the truth is in Jesus – the way of death is in the world.
· Life for a Christian is not to be considered “Business as usual.” Life for a Believer in Christ is to be known as “Business – Under New Management!”
III. What Must be Put off to change (22-23)
a. The Old Disposition
· “Anastrophe” – Conversation must change, manner of life must change
· The Old must be put away once and for all
· The Old man is now New because he is indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
· REMEMBER – There is not a sin that God cannot erase!
b. The Old Desires
· The man the Christian used to be – Scofield
· Deceitful desires that produce corruption in him.
· Example of a decaying corpse – remember sin leads to death
· “Corruption, vileness, and horror”
c. The Old Direction
· Satan always attacks the mind.
· The mind is attracted by sin. It is blind to spiritual truth – unless it has the Holy Spirit’s illumination.
· The Holy Spirit provides new direction
IV. What must be put on? (24)
The New Man – the new nature – Life and Loveliness of the Lord Jesus!
People are looking for the REAL THING – AUTHENTIC – GENUINE believers
Not superficial – fake – game players!
Here’s what will happen:
1. A Transformed Tongue (25)
2. A Transformed Temper (26)
3. A Conquered Devil (27)
4. A Different Conduct (28)
5. A Different Conversation (29)
6. An Ungrieved Holy Spirit (30)
We will not hold back any more – Quenching the HS
· Verse 30 – Sealing of the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption
o Owned and Possessed by God
o To be kept safe from the wiles of Satan, the weaknesses of the flesh, and the wickedness of the world until the day of redemption
· Verse 31 – Take things to the trash
o Bitterness, Wrath, Anger, Clamour, Blasphemy, Malice – they’ve got to go!
V. The Litmus Test (32)
· We must display Spiritual Graces instead of soul-destroying grudges
· We must forgive others, using the example of Christ forgiving us
· We must allow the power and presence of the Holy Spirit to reign in our lives.
HOW DO YOU AND I MEASURE UP TO GOD’S LITMUS TEST?