How do I change the title that shows up at the very top left corner of my browser?
This is the title that many search engines look at when indexing websites. Go to your Webmaster page and click the "Edit Titles and Headers" option. There you will find options to modify several titles as well as the description and keywords used by search engines. See "Titles & Headers" in the left menu for more details.
I just added a new page and now I have this: [*something] in my menu. What happened?
When you add a new page to your website, the title of the page is automatically added to your menu. If you don't like the generic title (with the asterisk in front), edit the title for that page to something more appropriate.
How do I upload web pages to my site?
If you have a Gold, Silver, or Bronze package, please see Using File Manager and Creating an FTP Account at left. The Free or Starter packages do not support the uploading of pages you've created yourself. With those packages all web pages must be created using our BEACON web builder.
I cannot get to my Webmaster page! What is wrong?
There are several possible causes. Let's take them one at a time.
- Typos. If the little window pops up asking for your username and password, and after you've typed them in it reappears saying, "Authentication Failed" and asks for your username and password again, try typing them in again very carefully. Many people have problems simply because they make mistakes when typing in their username and password. BEACON usernames and passwords are cASesENsitive.
- Wrong username or password. If the little window reappears and you are absolutely sure you are spelling the username and password correctly, chances are you are using the wrong username or password. Choose "Forgot Password" from the Help Section in our main menu, or visit the "Forgot Password" page here and enter your email address to have your username and password emailed to you. Please note that the email address you enter must be the same one that is associated with your website.
- Web Browser Settings. If the little window asking for your username and password never appears and you go directly to a white page that says: "The username and/or password you entered were incorrect. Please enter your email address on the page that follows to have your username and password automatically emailed to you. If you are not automatically forwarded within 10 seconds, click to go to the User Info Request page," that means your web browser's authentication settings are not correct.
If you use the Internet Explorer web browser you can check the authentication settings using the following steps:
- Go under the "tools" menu and select "Internet Options."
- Click the "Security" tab.
- Click the "Custom Level" button.
- In the new window that pops up, scroll all the way to the bottom to where you see "User Authentication."
- Click the dot in front of "Automatic logon with current username and password."
- Click the "OK" button.
- Close out all Internet Explorer windows and then restart Internet Explorer.
How do I remove the guestbook?
It is not possible to completely remove the guestbook, but you can remove the link so that people can't find it. Go to your Webmaster page and choose "Edit Colors & Graphics." Locate the Guestbook Button Graphic on the left and, in the dropdown list (at the very top of the list), choose "*BLANK." Then click "Submit layout elements above."
This will remove the graphical link for the guestbook. The guestbook itself will remain unchanged. If you decide later that you would like to use the guestbook again you can simply repeat these steps and select something other than "*BLANK" from the "Guestbook Button Graphic" drop-down menu.
How do I remove the map or counter?
It is not possible to completely remove the map and/or counter, but you can remove their links so that people can't find them. Go to your Webmaster page and choose "Edit Colors & Graphics." Locate the Map Button Graphic and/or the Counter Button Graphic on the left and, in the dropdown list (at the very top of the list), choose "*BLANK" for each one you want to omit. Then click "Submit layout elements above."
This will remove the graphical links for the map and/or counter. The map and counter themselves will remain unchanged. If you decide later that you would like to use them again you can simply repeat these steps and select something other than "*BLANK" from the "Map Button Graphic" or "Counter Button Graphic" drop-down menu.
I just created a website but I can't find it on the Internet!
- If you have created a site with a domain, you will need to use the temporary ourchurch.com/member/ site URL we provided until the domain propagates.
- Sometimes people get confused about the best way to get to their site. They are used to finding everything via a search engine. The best, most direct way to get to a website is to type in the URL if you know what it is. So if you have just created a website, simply
enter the website address in the address bar (at the very top) instead of trying to find it in a search engine. It will likely be weeks or months before your site is listed in a search engine. You can learn more about search engines by browsing our help pages on this subject.
- If you still can't get to your site, find the email we sent after you created the site and check the URL to be sure you are entering it correctly.
- There may be a temporary server outage. Try going to http://ourchurch.com and see if it is working. If it opens for you, then there may be a problem with your site. Please submit a help desk ticket for further assistance.
Top of Page Main Help Page Back