Web Maintenance – Should I do it Myself?
Summary of “Web Maintenance – Should I do it Myself?”
Mark Steinbrueck from OurChurch.Com discusses the options of website maintenance. With this video’s help, you will be able to decide between maintaining it yourself and hiring a web development company to do it for you. Here are the comparisons:
Pros and cons of maintaining it yourself:
- Con – It will take more time and patience
- Pro – It will save you money that would have been spent for hiring an expensive web development company
- Pro – You can instantly change the website without depending on a company to do it after a long period of time
The problem is that to do it yourself, you or someone else has to take responsibility of the website maintenance. The person will need time and desire to do it. We recommend you try doing it yourself first, but if nobody in your organization can handle the task, it is probably best you hire someone to do it and add content on a regular basis.
Other Things to Consider:
- Website Platform – Another question is which kind of platform are you going to use to make the website? The options are desktop-based and web-based platform. Desktop-based platform – A desktop-based platform is software installed in your computer and a web-based platform is an in-browser editor, usually compatible with multiple devices, in which you log in through a website to use and maintain your site. Web-based platform – We recommend the web-based platform because the desktop-based has certain limitations. When using a desktop-based platform, all the devices you are using will have to have the program. This is especially problematic for people who have a team for maintaining the site, meaning all of them need the software installed. Also, you will probably not be able to use it on mobile devices or tablets (on the go), meaning that you will not be able to make instant changes anywhere you want. With the web-based platform, you have the ability to make immediate modifications to your website as long as you have internet access.
- Will you need to learn how to do it? Knowledge on the subject is needed no matter if you maintain the website yourself or not. Basics can be taught through video tutorials or online guides that you can read.
- How easy is it to maintain yourself? It is very important to check the platform you are thinking about using and researching to be sure that you can handle the controls and difficulty. Seeing if the platform is advanced and complicated or simple and basic can be really important. By doing this, you can avoid getting stuck, misunderstanding or getting frustrated.
- What about the platform’s support? It is also good to know what kind of help is provided for when you get stuck or need assistance doing something with your website. This could be email, forums or anything else.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to someone at OurChurch.Com please complete the consultation request form below and we will be more than happy to speak with you.
RECIEVE our most-watched Web Design Tips videos!